May 22, 2011

Food blog guest post: Orange Brûlée French Toast

As you can all tell by now we are trying to keep things fresh on the old blog. We have been doing votes, giveaways, and changing the look and layout. So to keep things in the same vein I have decided to feature recipes from people whom I look up to and admire in a culinary sense. As soon as I had this idea my mind instantly went to my sister Candice. Below is a picture Brinn Willis recently took of my family. Candice is the one wearing the cartoon chef hat.

Picture by Brinn Willis of  BMW Photography (I added the Chef Hat)




She is an awesome cook and an awesome baker. She has kind of a French flare to her cooking and likes things really fancy. She made us a really awesome pear, gorgonzola and caramelized onion pizza last time we were at her house. So without any further ado our guest food blogger Candice Rainey.

Hello, I am Matt’s sister Candice (also know to many [mainly my family] as Sugarbritches) and I love breakfast. If you stop and think about it you will quickly realize that it is the most delicious, important and versatile meal. It can be eaten first thing in the morning (starting your day off right and giving you the boost of energy you need), as an early lunch (aka Brunch), or as a delectable and easy dinner. It can be sweet or savory, hearty or light. It is just simply the most wonderful meal.

So when I was asked to do a guest post my mind almost immediately went to breakfast, after about 20 desert ideas. I also love desert. As soon as I switched gears to breakfast I thought what could I make that is French? I love French cuisine and France, and if it weren’t un-American I would say that I want to be French. And what could be more French than French toast? Brûléeing the French toast of course! I found the original recipe last summer on food network and made it till if perfectly fit my taste with few of my favorite flavors and a little bit of France and voilà! I now have one of my all time favorite breakfast meals, made extra special, that can be eaten any time of day. I hope you all enjoy it.


Original recipe  found here













Orange Brûlée French Toast
Makes between 8-10 slices
Adapted from Aida Mollenkamp


Ingredients
• 1 1/2 cup heavy cream or whole milk
• 1/2 cup orange juice
• Zest from 1 orange or to taste
• 6 large eggs
• 2 tablespoon light brown sugar
• 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 loaf of Challah bread or other sweet bread
• 3 or 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
• Sugar for topping
• Pure maple syrup (no imitation stuff)

Directions
Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil.
In a large bowl, whisk together cream, juice, eggs, sugar, orange zest, vanilla, cardamom, and salt until eggs are broken up and well mixed. Cut bread to desired thickness (I usually cut them about ½-¾ inch; too thick will be more difficult to cook through and may remain soggy around edges) and number of slices you need. Soak bread slices in egg mixture turning once, until soaked through, about 2-3 minutes total.

Meanwhile, melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large frying pan over medium-low to medium heat. When butter foams, place soaked bread in the pan and cook until browned, about 2-3 minutes per side. After first slices are done place them on baking sheet and keep warm in oven till all the slices are finished cooking.

Just before serving sprinkle the tops with a thin layer of sugar and brûlée with a torch. If you don’t have a torch preheat your oven on broil for 5 minutes and raise the rack to the very top rung. Place baking sheet in the oven after applying sugar and watch VERY carefully for sugar to melt and bubble. The time really varies depending on your oven so just keep an eye on it. It will start to bubble and brown. Remove when all the sugar granules have melted. Let cool for a minute to let the sugar harden and serve.

You can always top with butter, but it is not necessary, just drizzle a little pure maple syrup and enjoy the best French toast ever!