November 15, 2011

Fall is Leaf-ing

My favorite season is coming to an end. Since yesterday many trees have shed their leaves. The view out my window is void of gold and orange and instead is dominated by green and brown (yes, we have green year round in Virginia). I am very grateful today that we took the time to seize the season yesterday by going on a leaf hunt.

My friend and her two girls came to gather with us, then we made our bounty into leaf banners, inspired by this one I discovered via pinterest. The process was simple: Gather leaves. Sort leaves. Glue leaves on paper. String paper together. Hang.







In our case, we used scrapbook paper to mount our leaves to and sewed the papers in a long chain to make a banner. I've done sewn paper banners before and I love them! They are easy and the exposed stitches give it a great handmade feel. Now we have another bit of holiday decor. I had so much fun, I'm going to make it a fall tradition!

Have any of you done any leaf art recently? Or made any corny "fall" jokes (see title)? Please share!