Matt turns 30 today! I made cinnamon rolls for breakfast, banana pudding for dessert, and I'm even cooking shrimp for him for dinner. I don't even like shrimp.
Despite that, I feel like I should have done a little something more to commemorate 30 years of awesome life. But we're moving, and I'm pregnant, and blah blah all those things I keep meaning to blog about. I thought about getting pictures from every year of his life and posting those, because if this blog needs anything it definitely needs pictures of his hair frosted from the late 90's. But then on our last visit to see his parents we were a little preoccupied with prepping for his sister to return from surgery and I forgot to dig up some pictures. So instead, you get a list of 30 things I love about Matt. Let me also note that I had this idea before his very sweet post for my birthday, so although I feel like a bit of a copycat, I can assure you the idea was my own. Not that it matters, that would be a pretty great thing to copy anyway.
So, without further ado, why I love Matt:
1. He has amazing eyes. Seriously. Those sparkling eyes Charly has? Yeah, they came from Matt. Mine are blue too, but his have the sparkle.
2. He has a great sense of humor. I don't know how he comes up with the stuff he comes up with, but it keeps me laughing and keeps life interesting. I don't think I'll ever get bored with him around.
3. He makes family a priority. Matt works really hard, but I definitely know he values family time. He leaves for work at 6:15 every morning because if he can beat traffic and get there sooner, he can leave sooner and also beat traffic home, which means more time with Charly and I. It is a pretty big sacrifice for someone who isn't a morning person, and I really appreciate it.
4. He also keeps in touch with his siblings and parents- and I love that. Once again- values family.
5. Matt works hard. Definitely makes family a priority, but that doesn't mean he doesn't work his buns off when he is working.
6. He is easy to talk to. Matt has a way of being able to make conversation with people he doesn't really know that I totally admire.
7. He doesn't really like driving long distances, but he always does it because he knows I hate it. That is love.
8. Maybe this doesn't need mentioning here, but you guys know he can cook right? Yeah, my man can cook. And he likes it. I feel totally special when he plans a nice meal or dessert for me. What girl wouldn't?
9. Matt is creative. In different ways than I am, which is awesome. Food ways- yeah, he can totally make up a dish from an idea he had. He can rock out a ridiculous poem when the mood strikes. And don't even get me started on the songs he makes up for Charly. They are imaginative and so entertaining.
10. Matt somehow keeps up with tons of news that I know nothing about. We never watch the news, and we don't really watch sports at home, but he keeps up with all of it. I wish I were better at that.
11. He is a very involved dad. Matt is so great at playing with Charly and engaging in her crazy little imaginative world. She loves when he comes home and instantly drags him to her room to play every day.
12. Matt indulges my crazy. I can get super obsessive when I lose something, or get crazy buyers remorse (or regret things I didn't buy), and a whole load of other crazy. Somehow he puts up with it and loves me still.
13. He is very laid back. We work well together because of this. When I stress out, he is a calming influence. On the rare occasions when he needs a calming influence I try to be that for him too.
14. Matt is very forgiving. He isn't a grudge holder, and I'm thankful for that every day.
15. He likes adventure. We aren't very adventurous in our suburban life anymore, but he does encourage me to be more adventurous and is always coming up with little day trips we can take as a family or new restaurants to try.
16. He has good taste in music- and introduces me to new stuff all the time.
17. Actually, he has good taste in general. He knows my taste and is great at picking out jewelry or clothes or home decor.
18. Matt stands his ground. He is definitely willing to compromise, and does all the time, but when something is important to him he definitely holds firm- like not playing the Boot Scootin Boogie at our wedding, or not naming our children anything crazy.
19. I love how Matt isn't very self conscious. This is a weakness of mine- viewing situations based on how it may appear to others or what people may think, but Matt just lives and does. How great is that? I want to be more like that one day.
20. Matt doesn't complain about doing things around the house. He may not love cleaning the bathroom (who does?) but if it needs to get done, he'll do it.
21. He likes TV. And so do I. Maybe this is silly? But either way, we enjoy watching TV, and we enjoy watching it together. I love to put Charly to bed and find something we can enjoy together, whether it be Parks and Rec or Downton Abbey or Top Chef or American Pickers.
22. This is something I love and that I am completely jealous of. HIS SKIN! It is so beautiful. And clear and flawless. Curse my danish, acne prone skin! And please bless my children can all have skin like his!
23. I love that Matt loves my family, too. We both got pretty lucky in the in-law department because our families are both awesome, but I love that Matt loves spending time with my family. Despite our quirks and flaws, he loves us. Heck, he's one of us.
24. I love his smile.
25. Matt loves my goodies, and that makes me feel good. And by that I mean actual goodies, as in desserts that you eat. Geez.
26. He listens to my ideas (and sometimes rants), as far out or weird as they may be sometimes, and doesn't judge. Usually.
27. He loves fun. And people that love fun are fun to be around and fun to love.
28. He laughs at his own jokes. It makes me laugh.
29. He is willing to paint the walls in our apartments because it makes me happy. It doesn't make that much sense to a lot of people, since apartments are temporary and all, but he obliges. What a guy, right?
30. I love Matt because he is who he is, all of it. Awesome things and flaws and crazy things and all the things about him. I just love him.
How about you guys- anybody have a reason they love Matt or a fun memory to share? It'd be fun to have some in the comments!