As far as ice creams go we have done some adventurous flavors in the past. Some have been winners like the Sweet Corn or Basil flavors. Some have been misses like the Thai Pineapple Curry one (didn't post it because it was a complete and utter failure). But so far it has been a wild ride. Don't think we have given up yet because we haven't posted in a while, because we haven't. There are some awesome fall and winter ones we have been waiting to try. What if I told you that this one is butter flavored ice cream?! Not just any old butter...brown butter. I know some people are already starting to salivate, and some are wondering how much butter actually goes into a butter flavored ice cream, and others stopped reading this post after I said butter flavored to go work out just for thinking about it. Well 3 sticks to be exact. Oh let's not forget the stick used in the brittle. Ok we lost some more. Now I know everyone who is still here and reading is a hardcore butter supporter and the weak ones have left. Let me explain how we use the brown butter as to ease your mind of the calories you are about to consume if you eat this ice cream.
 |
| Photo by Brinn Willis |
Brown butter is simple enough to make. You just cook the butter in a sauce pan until the butter boils and foams. Then it will turn a nice amber color and have a rich nutty aroma that will make you want to drink it in a 64 ounce big gulp cup (sorry New Yorkers). Be careful not to burn it. Once it's burnt it's gone and no one likes to see butter go to waste. For this ice cream you are only using the brown little solids that sink to the bottom. So in reality it's only a tablespoon of butter, but super nutty flavorful condensed butter!
 |
| Photo by Brinn Willis |
Now lets move on to the next awesome thing about this ice cream, the brittle! There is one word to best describe this stuff...Crack! I almost had to make another batch of brittle because I ate too much before I even made the ice cream! I can't begin to tell you how good this stuff is. So there you have it butter flavored ice cream sprinkled with crack! I think that best sums up this ice cream.
Also a special thanks to Brinn for taking these pictures and for her son Georgie for modeling the ice cream for us. Oh and let's not forget FW for trying to teach me how to make my own wooden spoon at 2 am using the embers of a fire. He's a true mountain man. So if you like these pictures check out Brinn's other pictures at her
blog.
Want to know how to brown your own butter? Here is a
link
Want to make this ice cream or even just the brittle? Here is a
link
Want to see a picture of a baby platapus drinking milk from a little bowl? Here's a picture. You're welcome!